Blank Rome attorneys represent purchasers and sellers in the acquisition and disposition of commercial, institutional, retail, industrial, multifamily residential, resort and leisure real estate, and other real property interests. We handle deals ranging from single asset sales and acquisitions; multiproperty, multistate portfolio transactions; entity-level mergers and buyouts; as well as a full complement of equity investments.
We tailor our representation to achieve our clients’ goals in an efficient and cost-effective manner, commensurate with the nature of the property involved and the size and complexity of the transaction.
We provide seasoned advice in:
- drafting, reviewing, and negotiating letters of intent and purchase and sale agreements, conveyance documents, financing documents, tax-deferred and multiple-party exchange agreements, escrow instructions, and other related documents.
- conducting due diligence with regard to property title, easements, compliance and permitting requirements, and property evaluation.
- reviewing environmental and property surveys.
- structuring and securing financing or negotiating pay-offs and other exit strategies.
- analyzing tax issues and structuring transactions to minimize taxes.
Blank Rome attorneys are regularly involved in the structuring of limited liability companies, real estate partnerships, joint ventures, and other investment vehicles.
Our attorneys have extensive experience advising clients in the sale and acquisition of portfolios and REITs. Blank Rome has handled several of the largest REIT acquisition and privatization deals in recent years.
Our Awards & Recognition
- Ranked in Chambers USA in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013, and recognized as a leading real estate practice offering a diversity of expertise ranging from transactional work to zoning and land use matters. Sources tell Chambers that Blank Rome:
- “Provides the highest quality legal advice in a business-oriented and cost-effective manner. A go-to team of excellent practitioners that is well known for its real estate expertise.”
- “They are accessible, available and effective, and they got the job done. They’re experienced, smart and competent.”
- Recognized in Real Estate Alert for handling some of the largest domestic deals in 2012, including:
- The 1st and 6th largest retail portfolio transactions in 2012
- The 2nd and 4th largest industrial property transactions in 2012
- The 8th and 18th largest multifamily transactions in 2012
- The 23rd largest single-property retail transaction in 2012
- Recognized as a “Top Issuer Counsel” for U.S. commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) by Commercial Mortgage Alert in February 2013.
- developers and homebuilders
- entrepreneurial real estate companies and individuals
- financial institutions
- government entities
- hotel, hospitality and leisure companies
- office buildings
- private equity funds
- public, private and nonprofit companies
- retail and shopping centers
- Real estate investment trust in the acquisition of 26 outlet center for a purchase price in excess of $1.5 Billion.
- Real estate investment and management services company in the acquisition of 110 industrial facilities located in California, Indian and Missouri for a purchase price in excess of $600 million.
- Real estate investment and management services company in the acquisition of 14 multifamily communities located in Arizona, Florida, Texas and Virginia for a purchase price of $477 million. Simultaneous with the acquisition, the client sold the Texas properties to a third party buyer for $76 million and entered into individual loans encumbering the remaining 13 properties in an aggregate loan amount of $287.8 million.
- Real estate investment and management services company in the sale of a portfolio of multifamily apartment properties for a purchase price of $115 million.
- Owner and operator of senior living facilities in the sale of a portfolio of assisted living communities located in Maryland, Michigan and Pennsylvania for a purchase price in excess of $85 million.
- New York real estate firm in a joint venture that included a $605 million acquisition and financing of Worldwide Plaza, a 47-story Class-A building in New York City. This deal was recognized by Real Estate Alert as the largest office property sale in 2009.
- A real estate investment and management services company in the $103.7 million sale of Westbury Plaza. This deal was recognized by Real Estate Alert as the fourth largest single-property retail deal in the U.S. in 2009.
- Leading real estate firm in a $53 million sale of 215,000 square foot Class-A office building in Fort Lee, New Jersey.
- Development and subsequent $34 million sale of a regional shopping center in South Brunswick, New Jersey, including a sale to Target of a “shadow” anchor pad.
- Bulk acquisition on behalf of a national petroleum company of 195 service stations and convenience stores in four states for more than $140 million, including coordination of zoning/permitting issues, 1,031 exchanges, negotiations with landlords and other third parties, and complex due diligence matters.
- Residential developer in connection with the acquisition of an ongoing residential development business from a real estate investment trust involving approximately 1,000 lots in 15 communities in several states, as well as houses under construction, materials, equipment, vehicles, and other intangible assets.