Joel Charles Shapiro
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5746||f. +1.215.832.5746|
- Main Narrative
- Aviation Practice
Joel Shapiro represents debtors, plan-of-reorganization proponents, asset purchasers, institutional lenders, lender groups, creditors, and creditors’ committees. He also focuses his practice on bankruptcy, reorganizations, and workouts, including:
- acquisition of assets under the Uniform Commercial Code or applicable provisions of the Bankruptcy Code
- loan restructuring with secured creditors
- debtor-in-possession financing
- intercreditor relationships
| A very talented advocate and an exceptional lawyer, who is good on his feet.
Mr. Shapiro is recognized as a leader in the field of bankruptcy and restructuring law by Chambers USA. Chambers sources call him "forthright, with very good business sense" and also note that he is "a very talented advocate" and "an exceptional lawyer, who is good on his feet" who "is best known for his prowess in Section 363 sales." Clients call him “both strategic and tactical” and "very pragmatic and responsive to the particular matter at hand."
Mr. Shapiro is a frequent writer and lecturer on bankruptcy issues. He recently spoke at the American Bankruptcy Institute’s Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Workshop on "Anything but Bankruptcy!: ABC's of Receivership and Other Alternatives" and wrote an article for the Journal of Corporate Renewal regarding the Bankruptcy Abuse, Prevention, and Consumer Protection Act of 2005.
- Metropolitan 885 Third Avenue Leasehold, LLC as counsel to debtor in their prepackaged Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization for the iconic “lipstick building” in New York City.
- Braniff, Inc. as counsel to the international airline in its Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Caldor, Inc. as counsel to purchaser and assignee of substantial leases from non-residential real property for national merchandise retailer.
- Lechters, Inc. as counsel to purchaser and assignee of substantial leases of non-residential real property from national houseware retailer.
- Today’s Man as counsel to debtor in reorganization of men’s superstore retail chain Chapter 11 case and in subsequent Chapter 11 seven years later.
- Norstan Apparel Stores, Inc. as counsel to purchaser and assignee of over 100 leases of non-residential real property from national apparel and accessory retailer.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Shapiro serves as a member of The Franklin Institute Executive Corporate Board.
- Bankruptcy/Restructuring Law, listed in Chambers USA
- AV Preeminent®, listed in Martindale-Hubbell®
- 2010–2018, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Philadelphia, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2004–2017, “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer” in Bankruptcy, listed in Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.