Cheryl S. Chang
|Los Angeles, CA||v. +1.424.239.3472||f. +1.424.239.3478|
- Main Narrative
Cheryl Chang is a member of the corporate litigation practice group and concentrates her multifaceted practice in the areas of complex and corporate litigation. Ms. Chang has litigated several intellectual property, antitrust, and class action matters for corporate and entertainment clients before the state and federal courts. She also has experience providing general legal advice for multi-national corporations and limited liability companies, including formation, trademark/copyright applications, and employment handbooks/agreements; negotiating and drafting asset and land purchase agreements; directing strategy on trademark dispute actions; and managing and directing motion practice, e-discovery, and large scale discovery in multi-district litigation.
As a member of the consumer financial services litigation team, Ms. Chang regularly represents lenders and financial institutions in a variety of consumer finance litigation matters in federal bankruptcy and district courts, as well as state courts, including disputes under TILA, RESPA, FCRA, ECOA and FDCPA, state law UDAP claims, and a variety of common law claims.
While receiving her juris doctor, Ms. Chang was managing editor of the UCLA Journal of International Law and Foreign Affairs and a member of the Moot Court. She was a staff writer for the Columbia University Spectator at Columbia University while receiving her bachelors degree.
Ms. Chang is fluent in spoken Mandarin Chinese and Taiwanese, and proficient in French.
- Obtained directed verdict in trial defending client mezzanine fund in action bringing claims for actual and constructive fraudulent conveyance, common law fraud, equitable subordination, wrongful shareholder distribution and preference claims.
- Represented multiple firms in patent, copyright, trade secret, and trademark infringement actions.
- Obtained various dismissals via demurrers and motions to dismiss on behalf of lenders and financial institutions in a variety of consumer finance litigation matters arising under TILA, RESPA, FCRA, ECOA and FDCPA, state law CLRA and Unfair Competition claims, and a variety of common law claims.
- Represented a Hong Kong Eyewear manufacturer in a breach of contract claim against a U.S. retailer.
- Represented a mass technology retailer against a putative class action under California's Unfair Competition Law and Consumers Legal Remedies Act; successfully obtained a voluntary dismissal from the plaintiff class representatives following the close of discovery.
- Represented a class of indirect purchasers for resale against major U.S. and Canadian chocolate manufacturers for price-fixing; successfully opposed motions to dismiss.
- Represented an international company in a profit-participation action against an entertainment company and its subsidiaries for self-dealing and improper accounting of profits for the property of a successful television broadcast; successfully brought and opposed summary judgment motions.
- Represented transactional entertainment attorneys in a malpractice action by a talent manager regarding the interpretation of the California Talent Agencies Act.
- Represented a Hong Kong DVD manufacturer in a breach of licensing agreement claim against a U.S. online retailer.
- Provided lead counsel in defending an instrument supply company in a breach of contract and trademark action by German corporation and Chinese manufacturer; successfully opposed the summary judgment motion.
- Provided lead counsel representing a Hong Kong clothing company and its Chinese manufacturer in a breach of contract claim against a U.S. distributor; successfully dismissed the distributor's state and federal trademark cross-claims on a summary judgment and obtained a full judgment on a breach of contract claim.
- Provided lead counsel in the defense of a Proposition 65 litigation alleging lead content in a California company’s Chinese-manufactured cosmetics caused reproductive toxicity; successfully negotiated favorable consent judgment.
- Represented a film production company against claims of copyright infringement for a 2006 blockbuster film, successfully defeating the screenwriter’s action on a motion to dismiss.
- Successfully defended a public corporation against an appeal by a film producer for claims of breach of an alleged agreement to provide Movie Production Incentives and tax credits.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Chang has been a member of the board of directors at the Taiwanese American Lawyers’ Association (“TALA”) since 2008 and served as vice president of TALA for the 2011–2012 term. In December 2011, Ms. Chang was elected president of TALA for the 2012–2013 term.
Ms. Chang is on the Executive Advisory Council of the Asian Pacific American Legal Center and is a 2012 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellows Program Honoree. She has been named to the Lawyers of Color (“LOC”) inaugural Hot List, which recognizes early- to mid-career minority attorneys under 40 from the Western Region.
- 2016–2017, “Los Angeles Super Lawyer” in Business Litigation, listed in Super Lawyers
- 2012–2015, “Rising Star,” listed in Super Lawyers
- 2015, “Rising Star” Consumer Protection, listed in Law360
- 2012, “Top Business Litigation Attorney,” listed in Pasadena Magazine
- 2012–2015, “Rising Star,” listed in Los Angeles Magazine
- Finalist, “Rising Star of the Year,” listed in the Los Angeles Business Journal’s 2015 Women Making a Different Symposium
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.