Thomas E. Biron
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5562||f. +1.215.832.5562|
| Sources note his 'masterful way of sizing up a situation and proposing solutions.'
Thomas E. Biron is a fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy. Since its inception, Chambers USA has ranked Mr. Biron as a leading individual in bankruptcy law, and has praised him for his "innovative approach," noting that clients appreciate his "good judgement" and "very strategic" nature. Clients have also described him as "one of the most highly respected practitioners around" and praised him as "a top choice for sophisticated matters." Sources note his "masterful way of sizing up a situation and proposing solutions" and that his "exceptional skills in complex restructuring and bankruptcy litigation have earned him a high profile in the state and beyond." He has received the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell, and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America© since 1991 for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation.
Mr. Biron’s broad range of experience includes:
- investigations and related litigation
- debt and equity restructurings and inter-class negotiations
- loan syndication, participation and restructuring
- lender liability prevention and defense
- real estate and public debt transactions
- leveraged mergers and acquisitions
- mass toxic tort problems and successor liability issues
- structured finance and asset securitization transactions
- alternative dispute and conflict resolution
Mr. Biron frequently lectures and writes on issues involving corporate reorganization and restructuring, and is a past subcommittee and task force chair in the Business Bankruptcy Committee of the
- Lehman Brothers Holding Inc. as counsel to a financial instrument counterparty, litigating and settling through a mediation dispute over termination rights and valuation.
- Trans World Airlines ("TWA") as counsel to the creditors' committee in TWA's sale to American Airlines in the context of a confirmed Chapter 11 plan.
- LeNature’s, Inc. as lead counsel to equipment finance provider in facility liquidation and in offensive and defensive litigation arising out of fraudulent enterprise’s bankruptcy.
- The City of Harrisburg as lead strategist for finance provider in successfully litigating enforceability and priority to municipal bond debt of obligations under license of technology to operate municipal waste to steam plant and negotiated settlement in connection with City rehabilitation plan.
- Defense of publicly traded commercial lender - $250 Million lender liability claim and related bankruptcy proceeding. One week trial resulted in dismissal of Debtor’s case by Bankruptcy Court, finding that case was filed in bad faith.
- Defense of regional bank in defending lender liability and fraudulent transfer litigation by chapter 7 trustee.
- A.P. Greene Industries, Inc., in the representation of a major insurance company in an asbestos-related Chapter 11. Successfully negotiated a settlement with a protective order issued, preventing future claims against the insurance company.
- DRA as counsel in connection with the company’s merger with Price Legacy Corporation, a publicly-traded real estate investment trust.
- Merry-Go-Round Enterprises as counsel to the creditors’ committee for the chain of a 1,400-store specialty fashion retailer.
- LTV Corporation as counsel to the parent-company creditors’ committee in a Chapter 11 case of a multibillion dollar steel and aerospace conglomerate, including litigating and then settling pension plan liability issues in the context of a Chapter 11 plan.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Biron actively participates with a number of professional and community organizations. He is a past president of Temple Adath Israel and of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association. He currently serves on the Executive Committee of the Temple University School of Law Alumni Association and the Philadelphia Cabinet of the Jewish Theological Seminary. Mr. Biron is a fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
- Bankruptcy/Restructuring Law, listed in Chambers USA
- AV-Preeminent®, listed in Martindale-Hubbell®
- 1991–2018, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation – Bankruptcy in Philadelphia, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2004–2017, “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer” in Bankruptcy, listed in Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.