Rustin I. Paul
|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5434||f. +1.917.332.3837|
Rustin Paul concentrates his practice in business and corporate matters, with a specific emphasis on mergers and acquisitions. He advises clients in a wide range of industries, including retail licensing and brand management, real estate, technology, media, consumer products, defense, and maritime.
Mr. Paul has extensive experience in the following areas:
- private equity transactions
- representation of real estate investment trusts in a variety of transactions
- public and private offerings, including advising underwriters in public offerings
- registration, regulation, and governance of investment companies and investment advisers
- representation of independent Boards of Directors
- SEC filings, statements, exemptive applications and disclosure reports
In July 2017, Mr. Paul, along with Blank Rome attorneys Thomas Westle, Michelle Gitlitz Courtney, Courtney Schrenko, and Brandon Einstein, authored a Fund and Investment Management Regulatory Update and Recent SEC Enforcement Actions overview for their clients.
- A brand management company engaged in licensing, marketing and providing trend direction for a portfolio of consumer and entertainment brands, in its $105 million acquisition of a global brand and related intangible assets from a subsidiary of a greeting card company.
- Private equity fund in the sale of one of its portfolio companies for $352 million.
- Private equity fund in the purchase of a global leader in technical solutions in the marine industry for $120 million.
- Retail licensing company in its acquisitions of four leading brands for aggregate consideration in excess of $345 million.
- Shipyard in its acquisition of another shipyard and an industrial and marine solutions company for aggregate consideration of approximately $50 million.
- Distribution and logistics company in the purchase of Europe's largest distributor of mobile phones, smart phones and original accessories for mobile phones for approximately $835 million.
- Australian listed property trust in the formation of a US real estate investment trust, which has and will continue to invest in US residential real estate, in connection with a A$120 million and a A$140 million offering in Australia.
- $3.4 billion acquisition of Capital Automotive REIT, the nation's leading specialty finance company for automotive retail real estate, involving 400 properties in 31 states.
- $1.7 billion acquisition of CRT Properties, Inc., a publicly traded office REIT, by a fund consisting of clients advised by DRA Advisors LLC, involving more than 100 buildings.
- $1.1 billion acquisition of a publicly-traded retail REIT by PL Retail LLC, a joint venture consisting of clients advised by DRA Advisors LLC and Kimco Realty Corporation, involving more than 30 shopping centers.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Rustin is an active participant in the Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project, a pro bono service for local small business owners, as well as a previous recipient of the City Bar Justice Center’s Jeremy G. Epstein Awards for Outstanding Pro Bono Service.