William R. Bennett III
|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5152||f. +1.917.332.3858|
William (Bill) R. Bennett, III concentrates his practice in international and maritime litigation and alternative dispute resolution. He has experience litigating and arbitrating all types of marine and shore-based disputes, including:
- contract disputes
- insurance coverage issues
- personal injury
- wrongful death
- charter party disputes
- fire and cargo disputes
Mr. Bennett has also served as arbitrator and mediator for personal injury and contract disputes.
Mr. Bennett obtained his Unlimited Third Mate’s license from the United States Coast Guard. He worked aboard various vessels in the capacity of Third Mate, Second Mate (limited tonnage), and Master (limited tonnage), including oil tankers, ocean-going tugs, dredges, and yachts.
Mr. Bennett is a frequent presenter and has recently spoken on topics such as "The Staten Island and SeaStreak Ferry Casualties: Pointers on How to Deal With the Press, National Transportation Safety Board, and United States Coast Guard" for the New York City Bar Association, "Protecting Maritime Liens in U.S. Bankruptcy Cases" at the 8th International Conference of Maritime Law, and "Arrest and Foreclosure of Vessels in the United States (incl. Bankruptcy)" at Marine Money 2013.
- Successfully represented a Swiss coal trader in the Eastern District of Virginia obtain a multi-million judgment at trail against alter ego entities; successfully collected the judgment by selling at auction a capesize bulker owned and operated by one of the alter ego companies.
- Successfully represented a tug operator obtain a judgment at trial in the Northern District of Ohio for custodia legis costs exceeding $350,000.
- Successfully represented a seafood importer avoid a package limitation and recover a settlement in excess of $1,000,000 against a defendant warehouse for damage to frozen shrimp.
- Represented the master of a passenger ferry following an accident resulting in multiple fatalities and injuries; taking part in successful plea negotiations without incarceration and negotiations with USCG to maintain his license.
- Represented one of the largest Japanese shipowners in Rule B and Rule C proceedings and its subsequent bankruptcy filing; successfully obtaining a release of its vessel and assets.
- Obtained two defense verdicts for two separate vessel owners in claims for passenger personal injury.
- Successfully defended an international freight forwarder at trial for a claim arising from the loss of a full container of wearing apparel.
- Successfully represented a coal trader in obtaining a recovery for breach of an FFA contract against vessel operators by filing a Rule B proceeding against affiliated companies under the theory of alter ego.
- AV Preeminent®, listed in Martindale-Hubbell®
- 2013-2016, Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.