Kate B. Belmont
|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5075||f. +1.917.332.3841|
Kate Belmont is a member of our Maritime Emergency Response Team (“MERT”).
Kate Belmont concentrates her practice in the areas of admiralty and maritime law, commercial litigation, and arbitration. Ms. Belmont represents clients in a wide variety of both domestic and international maritime and commercial matters, including:
- maritime casualties, including ship collisions, sinkings, groundings, explosions, and fires
- charterparty disputes, including laytime/demurrage, liability for cargo damage claims and arbitrations under SMA rules
- maritime limitation of liability actions and vessel arrests
- COGSA and multi-modal cargo damage claims
- marine insurance coverage disputes
- maritime cybersecurity
- general international and domestic commercial litigation
Ms. Belmont is a member of the Maritime Law Association Cybersecurity Committee. While in law school, Ms. Belmont was the editor-in-chief of the Fordham Environmental Law Review. Ms. Belmont was also the recipient of The Emmet J. McCormack Foundation Prize for excellence in Admiralty Law, The Robert Schuman Prize for excellence in European Union Law, and the Archibald R. Murray Public Service Award, magna cum laude. While an undergraduate at Columbia University, Ms. Belmont was the recipient of the Carolyn E. Agger Scholarship for Women Interested in Law.
Ms. Belmont currently teaches as an adjunct professor at the Stevens Institute of Technology. Her course, “Information Security & Law,” is an introduction to the American Legal System, and is an in depth review of information security issues in various industries and the legal mechanisms that have been developed to address such issues.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Belmont serves as the New York / New Jersey Chapter President of Women’s International Shipping & Trading Association (“WISTA”) USA. In this role Ms. Belmont is responsible for planning, executing, and hosting the 2018 Annual General Meeting and Conference which is being combined with the 20th Anniversary Celebration of WISTA USA.
- 2015, “Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Trailblazer,” by The National Law Journal
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.