James T. Smith
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5643||f. +1.215.832.5643|
James T. Smith has more than 30 years of experience in complex commercial litigation and white collar criminal defense, nationwide. He serves both corporate and individual clients in a wide variety of industries including technology, transportation, healthcare, aerospace, and defense, in disputes involving fraud and abuse, intellectual property, corporate governance, government and internal investigations, white collar criminal defense, and breach of contract and related claims, and many other areas. Mr. Smith formerly served as chair of Blank Rome's Litigation Department, overseeing more than 250 attorneys across nine practice groups and 13 offices.
Mr. Smith served as a law clerk to the Honorable Genevieve Blatt of the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania.
| He is considered a brilliant all-round trial lawyer, and enjoys a loyal client following.
Chambers USA recognizes Mr. Smith as a leader in general commercial litigation, describing him as a “good strategic thinker” and “very good on his feet and very articulate.” Chambers has also noted that he is “considered a brilliant all-round trial lawyer, and enjoys a loyal client following.” Clients have stated that “he can hold his own; he's a really good, aggressive and effective lawyer.”
- Publicly traded commercial lender—$250 Million lender liability claim and related bankruptcy proceeding. One week trial resulted in dismissal of Debtor’s case by Bankruptcy Court, finding that case was filed in bad faith.
- Publicly traded medical device manufacturer—complex criminal, civil, and administrative representations involving off-label promotion
- Publicly traded videogame manufacturer—secured summary judgment against plaintiffs in a $600 million claim involving theories about alleged effects of violent videogames
- Publicly traded defense contractor—negotiated highly favorable resolution of criminal and civil fraud prosecution
- Publicly traded branding company—jury awarded approximately $45 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages following a three-month jury trial involving breach of contract, fiduciary duty, trademark infringement, conversion, and other claims
- Transportation systems service provider—awarded $30 million in a six-week arbitration involving claims that shareholders of a newly acquired Texas company misrepresented its financial condition
- Financial services software provider—bankruptcy litigation arising from the acquisition of a business solutions provider for $825 million; the financial services software company was ultimately declared the successful bidder and the transaction closed successfully
- Aerospace and defense company—three-month jury trial involving breach of contract, fraud, and other claims against a Texas company and other companies, resulted in a $9 million award for our client
- Food-processing company—class-action claims involving toxic-tort exposure to children while in utero, in which plaintiffs ultimately withdrew complaint. Trial court subsequently sanctioned plaintiffs' counsel for $1 million in fees and costs
- Defense company—arbitration where claimant sought $175 million in damages for breach of contract and related claims; claimant was awarded nothing
- Publicly-traded major defense contractor—obtained multi-million dollar jury verdict for claims including theft of intellectual property
- Individual victim of severe personal injury—secured jury verdict in excess of $20 million
- Litigation: General Commercial Law, listed in Chambers USA
- AV Preeminent®, listed in Martindale-Hubbell®
- 2004, 2006–2017, “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer” in Business Litigation, listed in Super Lawyers
- 2006–2017, Commercial Litigation in Philadelphia, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.