Laurence S. Shtasel
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5691||f. +1.215.832.5691|
Laurence Shtasel maintains a national trial and appellate practice concentrating on a wide range of litigation including commercial disputes, white collar criminal defense and intellectual property. From 2002 through 2008, he served as Practice Group Leader for Blank Rome’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Shtasel served as an Associate Counsel in the Office of Independent Counsel with Lawrence Walsh investigating the Iran/Contra affair. He is also a former Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Criminal Division of the Office of the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York and a former law clerk for the Honorable Herbert J. Stern, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. Mr. Shtasel was named to Who’s Who Legal: Business Crime Defense in 2015 and 2017.
- Obtained $6.5 million judgment against multiple individual and corporate defendants in “stock loan” fraud matter.
- Representation of former CEO of public company charged with securities fraud/insider trading in nine-month federal court jury trial.
- Achieved complete defense jury verdict on behalf of AmLaw 100 law firm and individual lawyers accused of legal malpractice.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Fortune 100 company in matter brought by former executive argued before Utah Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended against all copyright infringement allegations on behalf of publicly traded education services company.
- Successfully defended $39 million counterclaim on behalf of leading plastic bottle manufacturer by winning summary judgment against a Fortune 100 company.
- Obtained consent decree in favor of pharmaceutical industry service provider against newly formed competitor engaging in misappropriation of trade secret information.
- Obtained non-prosecution of criminal defendant accused of sexual offenses by proving DNA evidence exculpated defendant.
- Successfully prosecuted trademark claims in arbitration on behalf of leading provider of kosher certification services.
- Prevailed on behalf of NBA basketball player in lawsuit over endorsement contract.
- Successfully settled class action securities litigation against former officer and director of public traded company resulting in no personal liability.
- Successfully defended food processing company in class action toxic tort litigation and obtained $1 million sanctions award against plaintiffs’ counsel.
- Obtained non-prosecution of defendant accused of computer crimes.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of plaintiff Fortune 100 company in contract action based on acquired bankrupt entity.
- Achieved complete victory on behalf of financial services software provider in action by former manager.