Michael Carl Cohen
|Los Angeles, CA||v. +1.424.239.3455||f. +1.424.239.3854|
Michael Cohen concentrates his practice on a broad range of corporate, real estate, and other business transactions, with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, private equity, general outside counsel representation, real estate transactions, and executive compensation arrangements.
Mr. Cohen’s corporate practice includes the general representation of well-established companies as outside general counsel, as well as emerging growth companies. He represents these companies in a variety of matters, including mergers and acquisitions, equity financing and investment transactions, venture capital and private equity transactions, and executive compensation and employment-related matters.
Mr. Cohen’s industry experience includes branded apparel and consumer products; cable television; print media (newspapers); professional service companies (including the country’s largest executive recruitment firm); oil, gas, ethanol, and mining investments and joint ventures; technology; real estate; hotels and resorts; and professional sports (including professional motorsport racing).
Real estate is also a significant area of practice for Mr. Cohen, including substantial experience in a variety of transactions such as complex acquisition and disposition transactions; real estate development partnerships and joint ventures; construction projects; leasing arrangements; and sale-leaseback transactions.
Prior to joining Blank Rome LLP in 2016, Mr. Cohen was a partner and then senior counsel at Morrison & Foerster, and a managing partner and executive committee member of Donovan, Leisure, Newton & Irvine.
The following highlight certain selected representative matters for Mr. Cohen.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Korn/Ferry International, the leading executive search firm, in its $500 million acquisition of The HayGroup Companies, a worldwide leader in leadership talent and compensation consulting services.
- Molibdenos y Metales S.A. (“Molymet”), in its $400+ million investments in Molycorp, Inc. (NYSE: MCP), a rare earth minerals mining company.
- Korn/Ferry International, the leading executive search firm, in numerous acquisitions of various privately held executive search and leadership and talent companies throughout the world, including its $100 million acquisition of Personnel Decisions Corporation.
- OHS-Compcare, LLC, in the sale of its occupational health and urgent care centers to U.S. HealthWorks.
- JKC, Inc., in connection with the $1.5 billion dollar acquisition and later disposition of the cable television businesses of McCaw Communications, Rigas Holdings, Falcon Holdings, and others, serving communities in Oregon, Washington, California, Alaska, Hawaii, Arizona, Tennessee, Kentucky, and the Southeastern United States.
- Rea Laccone and Christopher LaPolice, owners of the Vince brand, a women’s apparel designer and manufacturer, in the $400+ million sale of the brand to The Kellwood Company, a NYSE-listed women’s apparel manufacturer.
- Velvet, Inc., a designer and manufacturer of upscale apparel brands, in the partial sale of its business to the Snow Phipps Group, LLC, a private equity firm.
- Kooba, Inc., a premium contemporary designer of women's luxury handbags, accessories, and apparel, in its sale of a majority interest of its business to a San Francisco-based private equity firm.
- Not Your Daughter’s Jeans (NYDJ), in its sale of a 50 percent interest of its business to an investing entity formed by Falconhead Capital, LLC, a New York-based private equity firm and its later sale of the remaining 50 percent interest.
- Moda Nicola International LLC, owner of the Robert Rodriguez Collection, in the sale of 100 percent of its ownership interest to Jones Apparel Group, Inc.
- Alleghany Corporation, in connection with its joint venture with Laredo Oil, Inc., formed for the purpose of acquiring mature oil fields and recovering stranded oil from those fields using enhanced oil recovery methods.
Real Property Transactions
- Alleghany Properties, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Allegheny Corporation, headquartered in Sacramento, California, in connection with various real estate sales and development transactions, including the sale of over 150 parcels of residential and commercial land in Northern California in separate transactions.
- Alleghany Properties, Inc., in connection with its development of “Natomas Crossing,” a master-planned office, retail, hotel, and residential community located in Northern Sacramento County, California, including the construction of major infrastructure improvements and the sale to date of over 450 residential lots and multifamily sites, accommodating more than 270 apartment units, and three hotel sites.
- The KBH Company, in its acquisition of the Kapalua Bay Hotel and related resort facilities in Kapalua, Maui, in Hawaii.
- Santa Monica Hotel Properties, Inc., the developer of “Shutters On The Beach” hotel on Santa Monica Beach, California, in connection with the land acquisition, construction, and financing of this luxury hotel development.
- 2009-2010, Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.