Russell T Wong
|Houston, TX||v. +1.713.632.8634||f. +1.713.228.6605|
Russell Wong concentrates his practice on intellectual property litigation, intellectual property licensing/opinions, and general intellectual property counseling, including patent portfolio strategy and development.
Mr. Wong combines his law firm experience with his past experience as chief IP counsel of a Fortune 50 company at a nationally recognized intellectual property law firm to provide his clients with business-focused legal advice.
He represents a wide range of clients, from small software startups to large multinational corporations, across numerous industries, from information technology to chemical processes. Mr. Wong’s extensive licensing experience includes large patent portfolio cross-licenses, agreements supporting a multi-hundred million dollar chemical plant project (e.g., technology rights, basic engineering, service, and catalyst supply), software licensing agreements (e.g., master license, support, and maintenance), joint development, and contracts with government agencies.
He has litigation experience in areas including video technology, notebook computer technology, chemical separations processes, distillation trays, catalysts, and oilfield equipment. He has also served as an arbitrator in a patent lawsuit.
Mr. Wong currently serves as counsel for a biosciences company that focuses on the use of fullerene carbon nanotubes for novel therapeutic applications in the area of cancer treatment. He frequently speaks on IP topics, including patent licensing, business method patents, and standards activities.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Wong is active in various organizations, including: board member of the Houston Chapter of the Texas General Counsel Forum; President Elect of The Honorable Nancy F. Atlas Intellectual Property Inn of Court; member of the University of Houston Law Center’s Institute of Intellectual Property and Information Law Board of Advisors; member of the Tulane University School of Science and Engineering Board of Advisors, and member of the Tulane Fund Board. He is the former chair of the Asian Pacific Interest Section of the State Bar of Texas, past co-chair of the Texas Minority Counsel Program, and past president of the Asian American Bar Association of Houston.
- 2016, “Top Lawyer” in Intellectual Property Rights, listed in Houstonia
- AV-Preeminent®, listed by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Patent Law, Texas, listed in Who’s Who Legal
- 2003–2017, “Super Lawyer” in Intellectual Property Litigation, listed in Texas Super Lawyers
- 2007–2017, Litigation - Intellectual Property, and Patent, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2013, “Top Rated Lawyer” in IP Law, listed by American Lawyer Media
- 2014, “Lawyer of the Year” in Patents, Houston, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2015–2016, Intellectual Property Law, listed in Chambers USA
- 2016, “Lawyer of the Year” in Litigation – Patents, Houston, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2017, “Lawyer of the Year” in Patent Law, Houston, listed by Best Lawyers®
- 2016, “Top Rated Lawyer” in Texas, listed in Texas Lawyer Magazine
- 2016, “IP Star,” by Managing IP (“MIP”) Magazine
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.