Joseph J. Patry
|Washington, DC||v. +1.202.772.5940||f. +1.202.572.1429|
Joseph J. Patry focuses his practice in consumer finance litigation, handling a wide range of complex commercial litigation matters in cases involving negotiable instruments, mortgage assignments, loan origination claims, foreclosures, real property, and similar statutes.
Prior to joining Blank Rome LLP, Mr. Patry was in-house counsel at MERSCORP Holdings, Inc., (“MERS”), a mortgage industry e-commerce utility. At MERS, he was responsible for managing and monitoring hundreds of cases, and reviewed, edited, and refined dispositive motions, briefs, and discovery responses in cases around the country. He regularly assisted the company’s outside counsel with strategy and provided advice and insight on mortgage industry litigation.
As a member of the consumer financial services team, Mr. Patry regularly represents lenders and financial institutions in a variety of consumer finance litigation matters in federal and state court, including disputes under TILA, RESPA, FCRA, ECOA and FDCPA, state law UDAP claims, and a variety of common law claims.
Recent Speeches & Presentations
- Panelist, "Contested Mortgage Foreclosures, MERS and Beyond: Latest Developments," Strafford Publications webinar; December 11, 2013
- Panelist, "Establishing Standing and Defending Against Claims Relating to MERS," Residential Litigation & Regulatory Enforcement, Dallas, TX; September 27, 2013
- Panelist, "Defending Contested Mortgage Foreclosure Litigation - Overcoming Challenges to Lender Documentation, MERS and Other Standing Issues, and Borrower Defenses and Counterclaims," Strafford Publications webinar; August 29, 2013
- Panelist, “MERS and Securitization in Contested Foreclosure Litigation,” Strafford Publications webinar; January 24, 2013
- Panelist, "Establishing Standing and Defending Against Claims Relating to MERS”, Residential Litigation & Regulatory Enforcement, Dallas, TX; September 28, 2012
- Panelist, “Mortgage & Foreclosure Litigation,” American Conference Institute, Consumer Finance & Litigation, Chicago, IL; July 30, 2012
- Panelist, “Contested Mortgage Foreclosure Litigation”, Strafford Publications webinar; July 10, 2012
- Panelist, “Responding to Borrower Counterclaims and Stall Tactics and Defending Against MERS Claims,” American Conference Institute, Residential Mortgage Litigation, Washington, DC; March 30, 2012
- Panelist, “In-House Roundtable,” American Conference Institute, Consumer Finance Class Actions and Litigation, New York, NY; January 26, 2012
- Panelist, “In-House Think Tank,” American Conference Institute, Consumer Finance Class Actions and Litigation, Orlando, FL; October 27, 2011
- Panelist, “Foreclosures & Other Hot Title Topics,” VA Bar Association Annual Meeting, Williamsburg, VA; January 21, 2011
- Speaker, “Nuts & Bolts of MERS,” FL Bar CLE, Tampa, FL; November 12, 2010
- "Issues in Litigating Mortgage Loan Transfer Notice Claims," Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions; November/December 2013
- "Issues in Foreclosures and Challenges to Foreclosures," Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions; May/June 2013
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Patry serves on the board of directors of the LGBT Bar Association of the District of Columbia.
- 2014–2017, “Rising Star” in Washington, D.C., listed by Super Lawyers
- 2016, “Making Justice Real Pro Bono Award,” presented by the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.