Leon R. Barson
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5576||f. +1.215.832.5576|
Leon R. Barson is a partner in the Finance, Restructuring and Bankruptcy group of Blank Rome LLP. Mr. Barson routinely represents companies in significant bankruptcies and restructurings, and has guided corporate debtors, investors, and acquirers alike in connection with a number of Chapter 11 cases, out-of-court debt refinancings, and acquisitions of troubled companies. His distressed M&A experience has involved a wide variety of industries, including automotive, telecommunications, broadcast, healthcare, manufacturing, hospitality, real estate, apparel, and retail. He also counsels boards of directors and senior management with respect to their duties and obligations to financially-challenged companies. He represents private equity sponsors and portfolio companies in restructuring existing credit facilities and strategic dispositions to pay down indebtedness. In addition, Mr. Barson has extensive experience representing distressed healthcare providers and facilities in out-of-court workouts and bankruptcy proceedings, as well as buyers and investors interested in acquiring or investing in distressed healthcare facilities.
Mr. Barson has developed a substantial reputation for evaluating and advising clients on a variety of complex, high-stakes disputes in the creditors’ rights arena. He has been engaged to provide advice to individuals and business enterprises alike on some of their most sensitive and challenging matters. He successfully represented a leading owner and operator of community-focused hospitals in a multi-million dollar post-closing escrow dispute arising out of the client’s $150 million acquisition of a large hospital under Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code. In addition, Mr. Barson successfully represented a Chapter 7 Trustee who faced possible removal from the panel of trustees based upon alleged conflicts of interest in a high profile bankruptcy case. After a multi-day trial and extensive briefing on the legal issues, the Bankruptcy Court ruled in favor of the Trustee.
| A terrifically intelligent debtor attorney with a special talent for turning a destructive situation into a productive solution.
Mr. Barson has been recognized as a leading lawyer in Chambers USA every year since 2005. He won acclaim for his ability to "get to the right result in the most practical and efficient way" and was recognized that he “goes above and beyond for his clients." He was also applauded for being “very strong, really smart and very pragmatic," and a “terrifically intelligent debtor attorney” with a “special talent for turning a destructive situation into a productive solution.” Clients “praised [him] for his performance both in and out of court, his thorough approach and excellent negotiating skills” and, further, as “an impressive lawyer with significant market profile,” with one of his peers remarking that Mr. Barson is “just outstanding.”
In addition, Leon has authored numerous articles about issues impacting Chapter 11 cases. He is also a contributing author to Commercial Bankruptcy Litigation (West, 2009). Mr. Barson speaks frequently on a variety of subjects related to business reorganization.
- New Louisiana Holdings, LLC, et al. as counsel to the purchaser in connection with its successful section 363 acquisition of Citrus Gardens of Fort Myers nursing home.
- Represented Ameridose, LLC, the sister company of New England Compounding Pharmacy, Inc. (“NECC”), in connection with creditors’ rights issues and litigation relating to deaths and injuries alleged to have arisen from NECC’s manufacture of tainted drugs and in connection with $100 million global settlement effectuated in the context of NECC’s confirmed chapter 11 plan of reorganization.
- Nassau Broadcasting Partners, L.P., et al. as lead restructuring counsel to four affiliated Chapter 11 debtors. As of the bankruptcy filing, the debtors owned and operated 49 radio stations in the Mid-Atlantic and New England states, making them the 13th largest domestic radio company based on number of stations operated.
- The Baptist Home of Philadelphia as counsel to Investment 360, LLC in connection with its successful section 363 acquisition of a skilled nursing home and continuing care retirement facility.
- Gridway Energy Holdings as counsel to a leading hedge fund in connection with its successful section 363 acquisition of a major provider of electricity and natural gas.
- Hospital Partners of America, Inc., et al. as counsel to section 363 stalking horse purchaser in connection with acquisition of controlling interest in St. Joseph Medical Center.
- Westfall Township, Pennsylvania as counsel to Chapter 9 municipal debtor.
- Berks Behavioral Health as counsel to section 363 acquirer in connection with hospital facility acquisition.
- Hawaii Superferry, Inc., et al. as counsel to Chapter 11 debtors.
- BHM Technologies Holdings, Inc., et al. as counsel to Chapter 11 debtors.
- The Holliston Mills, Inc. as counsel to secured lender/acquirer.
- WG Property Investments, Inc. as counsel to Chapter 11 debtor.
- Skip’s Clothing Company, et al. as counsel to Chapter 11 debtors.
- Network Access Solutions Corporation, et al. as counsel to Chapter 11 debtors and Post-Confirmation Plan Administrator.
- Kitchen Etc., Inc. as counsel to Chapter 11 debtor.
- A.S.K. Plastics, Inc., et al. as counsel to Chapter 11 debtors.
- The Monet Group, Inc., et al. as counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors and Post-Confirmation Unsecured Claims Administrator.
- O-Cedar, Inc., et al. as co-counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors.
- Midland Food Services, LLC as counsel to Chapter 11 debtor.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Barson is chair of the Lender Liability Subcommittee of the American Bar Association’s Commercial Financial Services Committee of the Business Law Section. He also served on the board of directors of the Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project ("CBAP"), a clinic that assists low-income individuals who need advice about their consumer debts.
- 2005-2016, Bankruptcy/Restructuring Law, listed in Chambers USA
- 2009-2017, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation - Bankruptcy in Philadelphia, listed in Best Lawyers in America©
- 2012, "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation–Bankruptcy in Philadelphia, listed in Best Lawyers of America©
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.