Richard E. Berman
|Fort Lauderdale, FL||v. +1.954.512.1832||f. +1.954.512.1785|
Richard Berman has more than 40 years of trial experience handling complex litigation matters in state and federal courts, as well as arbitration proceedings.
His experience includes commercial, corporate, and real estate litigation of all varieties, including construction defect claims, probate and trust litigation, and professional liability claims for attorneys, accountants, architects, and engineers, as well as intellectual property litigation. He has also practiced in varied areas, such as lender liability, eminent domain, and numerous creditor claims, in bankruptcy court.
Mr. Berman is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Civil Mediator and Broward County Qualified Arbitrator. During law school, he was an editor for the Syracuse University Law Review and a member of the Justinian Honor Society.
- Successfully defended former President of the United States Gerald R. Ford, former chairman of Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, former president of Citicorp, and retired dean of the Harvard Business School in a $300 million ERISA claim.
- Represented the mother and sister of a well-known missing entrepreneur and philanthropist in a dispute with his wife. This Broward County Probate Court case involved legal issues of the highest complexity involving the absentee’s estate, including property rights related to the absentee’s extensive personal property and real estate holdings across the globe.
- Successfully defended the then second largest cemetery corporation in North America against more than 100 claimants allegations of massive grave disturbance.
- Successfully defended at trial in bankruptcy court a $32 million dollar claim against former Singer Sewing Machine Company, resulting in a $2,000 recovery.
- Successfully defended three separate jury trials against a New York REIT in state and federal court alleging improper cancellation of contracts to build a condominium project, obtaining three separate zero verdicts.
- Successfully defended the State of Florida in a claim for forfeiture of the State Park with land valued at over $600 million.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Berman is a member of the Trial Bar Section of the United States District Court, Southern District of Florida, and served on the Florida Bar 17th Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee “G” for three years commencing in 2008. He is also a member of the Bankruptcy Bar Association for the Southern District of Florida.
- 2016, “Top Rated Lawyer for Litigation,” listed by The American Lawyer, The National Law Journal, and Corporate Counsel
- 2016–2017, “Top Lawyer,” listed by South Florida Legal Guide
- 2016, “Legal Elite,” listed by Florida Trend's Legal Elite
- AV® Preeminent,™ listed by Martindale-Hubbell
- 2006–2017, “Florida Super Lawyer” in Business Litigation, listed by Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.