Jayme L. Butcher
|Pittsburgh, PA||v. +1.412.932.2801||f. +1.412.291.3307|
Jayme Butcher concentrates her practice in the area of complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Ms. Butcher has handled matters in diverse areas of litigation, including trade secret and non-compete law, employment law, pharmaceutical, class actions, personal injury, breach of contract, oil and gas, products liability, construction, First Amendment, and general commercial litigation. She has also led commercial arbitrations at the American Arbitration Association and at FINRA, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. Ms. Butcher also has experience in bankruptcy proceedings.
She has represented numerous employers and employees in litigating and defending covenants not-to-compete and restrictive covenants, and confidentiality agreements in trade secret matters in various state and federal courts throughout the country. She has also been involved in successful actions to enjoin clients’ former employees who have misappropriated manufacturing, technology, or corporate trade secrets, from working and/or competing in the applicable industry. Her trial experience has taken her into courts across Pennsylvania as well as North Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, Washington, and Ohio.
Ms. Butcher is a member of Blank Rome’s Trade Secret and Non-Compete Litigation Group. While in law school, she was a contributing editor for the Case Western Reserve Law Review.
- Successfully obtained a mandatory injunction enjoining defendants from improperly passing-off inferior and dangerous counterfeit Chinese building materials manufactured below industry standards (containing a known carcinogen).
- Successfully obtained a summary judgment on behalf of a public utility after a gas explosion occurred in a residential neighborhood, resulting in claims brought by six different plaintiffs for, among other things, wrongful death, permanent disabilities, and property damage.
- Successfully defended a former financial adviser who was sued for allegedly misappropriating confidential business information after the former employee joined a competing investment firm.
- Assisted in obtaining injunctions against former employees who were in violation of clients’ non-compete agreements.
- Defended financial services providers (broker-dealers and investment advisers) in various customer account-related litigation, both in court and before FINRA, involving inter alia, claims of churning, unsuitability, breach of fiduciary duty, and failure to supervise with respect to a wide variety of investment vehicles, including equity and debt investments, mutual funds, commodities, and insurance products. Also provided such clients with account garnishment/writs of execution, financial adviser expungement, and interpleaders.
- Prevailed in a number of cases for media clients, which have included gaining access to documents, protecting confidential sources, and defending libel claims.
- Assisted in developing and implementing a successful litigation strategy to protect a software technology agreement that was essential to the client’s business.
- Lead counsel in a “lift-out” case involving the client’s loss of multiple offices involving claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and trade secret theft.
- Lead counsel in successfully obtaining a preliminary injunction against a former employee and new employer in a case involving theft of trade secrets and breach of duty of loyalty claims.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Butcher is a member of the E-Discovery Special Masters Subcommittee for the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. She also serves on the board of directors at the Sarah Heinz House. Ms. Butcher is a member of the Executive Leadership Council for the United Way of Allegheny County and serves as co-chair of its United for Women program.
In August 2017, Ms. Butcher was selected by the Allegheny Conference on Community Development as one of the five finalists for the 2017 Greater Pittsburgh ATHENA Award, which recognizes regional women for their professional excellence, contributions to the community, and mentorship of other women.
- 2017, Corporate Citizenship Award, Pittsburgh Business Times
- 2017, Woman of the Year, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia Chapter
- 2011, Pennsylvania Rising Star, listed in Super Lawyers
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.