George M. Medved
|Pittsburgh, PA||v. +1.412.932.2807||f. +1.412.774.6106|
George Medved is a partner in Blank Rome's corporate litigation group and serves as the administrative partner for the Firm's Pittsburgh office. He is a seasoned trial lawyer who handles a variety of corporate and commercial litigation matters, including antitrust, securities, intellectual property, derivative actions, creditors' rights, construction, class actions, product liability, real estate, and employment litigation, as well as contract and Uniform Commercial Code cases.
Mr. Medved has handled matters in state and federal courts at the trial and appellate level throughout the country, as well as in arbitrations both domestically and abroad.
He has frequently lectured and written in the areas of commercial and construction litigation. While in law school, he was an articles editor of the University of Pittsburgh Law Review.
Mr. Medved is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Lead counsel representing a coal broker in a series of actions involving agreements to supply coal to various utilities.
- Lead counsel who was tasked by a company involved in extensive litigation across the United States to resolve all litigation in a fixed time period so as to enable the sale of the company to another utility.
- Lead counsel to a European investment bank defending an action brought by a disappointed American suitor in an acquisition. The court imposed Rule 11 sanctions in favor of the European investment bank client.
- Lead counsel to a gourmet line of cookware in an action involving a supplier’s failure to timely provide anodizing services.
- Lead counsel for a financial subsidiary of a major manufacturing company in an action to enforce loan covenants against a textile manufacturer.
- Lead counsel for a national drugstore chain in connection with enforcement of its rights to build a store in a location which was being opposed by a local property owners’ association.
- Representation of a major aluminum company in a declaratory judgment action seeking contractual relief under the doctrines of frustration and commercial impracticability.
Corporate, Antitrust and Securities
- Lead counsel representing a group of shareholders of a publically traded company in a derivative action that resulted in significant modifications to corporate governance practices. The court awarded counsel fees on an augmented Lodestar basis in recognition of the benefit resulting to the shareholders.
- Lead counsel representing the Board of Directors of a financial institution in connection with a §10(b)(5) securities class action alleging inadequate loan loss reserves.
- Lead counsel representing a company defending an action seeking to enjoin the acquisition of a steel mill subsidiary from an automotive manufacturer.
- Representation of a major paper manufacturer in a Sherman Act §1 price fixing action in the corrugated container industry.
- Lead counsel for a heavy and highway contractor in connection with an investigation into bid rigging on state road projects.
- Representation of a corporation in connection with a Sherman Act §1 price fixing case in which the United States Supreme Court held that a parent and its wholly owned subsidiary are incapable of conspiracy under the Sherman Act.
- Representation of a tire manufacturer in connection with tire recall and product liability death cases throughout the United States.
- Lead counsel in a series of death cases arising from allegedly defective pick-up truck tires made in Canada.
- Lead counsel in a case involving a series of deaths relating to an allegedly defective traffic signal design.
- Lead counsel for a gas utility in a series of death and burn cases arising from gas well explosions.
- Lead counsel for a contractor in an action involving cost overruns in connection with the rehabilitation of the harbors in Duluth and Milwaukee.
- Lead counsel for a contractor in an action for payment under FAR in connection with services provided to a NASA facility.
- Lead counsel for Allegheny County in connection with claims arising out of the construction of the $600 million light rail transit system in Pittsburgh.
- Lead counsel for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in connection with claims arising out of the construction of the annex to the Capitol.
- Lead counsel for a contractor in claims totaling over $200 million in connection with the construction of a 790-megawatt super critical coal-fired power plant in the Midwest. The contractor was awarded attorneys’ fees at the conclusion of the proceedings.
- Lead counsel for a contractor in connection with claims arising out of the decommissioning of a nuclear reactor owned by a California utility.
- Lead counsel for a Mexican/Norwegian joint venture contractor in a UNCITRAL arbitration sited in London in connection with claims arising out of the construction of a steel pellet mill facility in Venezuela.
- Lead counsel for a European contractor in an ICC arbitration sited in Geneva in connection with claims arising out of the construction of a blast furnace in Chicago.
- Lead counsel for a contractor in a series of cases arising from the engineering, procurement, and construction of a 310-megawatt combined-cycle power plant in California.
- Lead counsel for a company in a dispute over the ownership of intellectual property in the orthopedic industry.
- Lead counsel for a company seeking to recover its full contract price for the $36 million sale of its coal properties.
- Lead counsel for a company that procured and installed a defectively operating boiler system for an industrial coatings company.
- Lead counsel for municipality in connection with claims arising out of its construction of a $32 million sewage treatment plant.
- Lead counsel for a company in connection with claims arising out of the construction of a pipe mill built to supply pipe for the Marcellus Shale play.
- Lead counsel for a company in connection with claims arising out of the construction of a coke oven for a steel manufacturer.
- Lead counsel for a company in connection with claims relating to construction of a hospital facility in Ontario.
- Lead counsel for a construction company in a series of insurance coverage disputes relating to the construction of a facility in Texas.