Frank L. Tamulonis III
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5725||f. +1.215.832.5725|
Frank Tamulonis concentrates his practice on environmental and energy litigation, transactional, and regulatory matters as well as public utility matters.
Mr. Tamulonis represents and counsels clients on a broad range of energy and environmental matters including compliance with the Clean Air Act (CAA), Clean Water Act (CWA), CERCLA, RCRA and state law equivalents; defending against citizens’ suits in state and federal court; defending permit appeals before the Environmental Hearing Board; representing public utilities before the Public Utility Commission; assisting clients with navigating FERC, PUC and eminent domain requirements related to pipeline projects; conducting internal environmental, health and safety investigations and audits; assisting with complex site remediation; and defending against toxic tort claims.
Immediately prior to joining Blank Rome, Mr. Tamulonis served as law clerk to the Honorable Sylvia H. Rambo of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania. During that time, Mr. Tamulonis drafted opinions and orders related to environmental issues as well as labor and employment, insurance, education, real estate, contract and corporate law issues. Mr. Tamulonis assisted with drafting a landmark CWA opinion upholding the EPA’s Chesapeake Bay TMDL Program, which was subsequently affirmed by the Third Circuit of Appeals. Certiorari was denied by the U.S. Supreme Court, thus affirming the District Court’s opinion.
Prior to that, Mr. Tamulonis served as assistant counsel to the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board. In that capacity, he advised the Board on complex environmental laws and regulations, and assisted the judges in drafting opinions, orders, and adjudications relating to oil and gas, mining, solid and hazardous waste, and air and water quality matters, as well as procedural and evidentiary matters.
While in law school, Mr. Tamulonis served as research editor on the Penn State Law Review. He was a member of the Environmental Law Society, the Woolsack Honor Society, and the Joint Degree Society. He also received a focus study certificate in environmental and natural resources law.
- Represents various companies in actions brought under state and federal environmental programs, including CAA, CWA, CERCLA, RCRA and their respective state equivalents.
- Represent major energy companies in litigation before the Pennsylvania federal and state courts as well as the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission and Environmental Hearing Board.
- Oversees and assists with legal and technical aspects of site remediation projects pursuant to CERCLA, RCRA, Act 2, New Jersey Spill Act, and the New York Navigation Law.
- Representation of major hydrocarbon logistics company in obtaining required approvals and tariffs from the Public Utility Commission and related litigation.
- Representation of major hydrocarbon logistics company in federal citizen suit litigation under the Clean Water Act and RCRA.
- Defense of major hydrocarbon logistics company in state tort claims.
- Representation of major oil and gas exploration and production company in beneficial permit appeal before the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board.
- Representation of major hydrocarbon logistics and energy companies in defending air permit appeals before the Environmental Hearing Board.
- Obtained summary judgment for major electric and natural gas distribution company in appeal of Clean Water Act Water Quality Certification before the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board.
- Defense of major electric and energy companies against toxic tort claims involving benzene exposure.
- Conducts facility audits and counsels clients in environmental and safety compliance issues.
- Counsels various lenders, chemical manufacturers, and shipyards on environmental and safety issues in loans, mergers, acquisitions, and other transactions.