Edward W. Chang
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5342||f. +1.215.832.5342|
VICE CHAIR, CONSUMER FINANCE LITIGATION PRACTICE GROUP
Edward Chang’s practice is focused on consumer financial services and commercial litigation. Mr. Chang represents and counsels residential mortgage loan servicers and lenders in all phases of litigation, from initial investigation through trial and appeal, in numerous state and federal courts throughout the country.
He routinely handles a variety of claims relating to residential mortgage loan interests, contested foreclosure and servicing issues, including:
- securitization and standing
- claims of wrongful foreclosure
- violations of TILA, RESPA, FCRA, FDCPA, ECOA and related federal and state consumer protection laws
- improper mortgage loan assignment and holder in due course issues
- wrongful eviction, loan modifications, lien priority, title claims, fraud, tax sales, and related servicing issues
Mr. Chang also has extensive experience in defending and prosecuting complex commercial cases, including contractual disputes, consumer class action claims, and shareholder breach of fiduciary duty claims.
Mr. Chang is an Ironman triathlete and is proficient in speaking Mandarin.
- Represented national financial institutions in successfully dismissing various federal and state claims relating to consumer mortgage loans.
- Represented an automotive dealership in successfully dismissing claims brought under the Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings Act and state consumer fraud claims in the U.S. District Court of Maryland.
- Second chaired a federal jury trial representing a New Jersey municipality against First Amendment retaliation claims, and assisted in obtaining a no cause verdict on the remaining claim.
- Obtained summary judgment for a large media entity against a former employee’s charge of Title VII discrimination in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Obtained summary judgment for a nonprofit nursing home organization in a real estate transaction dispute, alleging breach of warranties and seeking rescission of contract, in the Court of Common Pleas of Lycoming County, Pennsylvania.
- Obtained summary judgment for a close corporation in a dissenting shareholder valuation action in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Chancery Division, Ocean County.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Chang serves on the Board of Directors for the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia, and volunteers with the Coalition’s Cadence Youth Cycling program, which is aimed at helping high school students learn about teamwork, perseverance, and goal-setting through the sport of cycling. Since 1972, the Bicycle Coalition has partnered with community, governmental, public, and private actors in order to effect change that makes streets safer for everyone.
Mr. Chang also serves as a Barrister member of The University of Pennsylvania Law School American Inn of Court. Furthermore, he is an active volunteer with the Support Center for Child Advocates, serving as a pro bono child advocate for abused and neglected children.
- 2010–2017, “Pennsylvania Rising Star” in Consumer Law, listed in Super Lawyers®
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.