Dennis M.P. Ehling
|Los Angeles, CA||v. +1.424.239.3423||f. +1.424.239.3480|
Dennis Ehling focuses on complex and general commercial and deal litigation, including securities fraud, forensic investigations, corporate deal litigation, CERCLA and RCRA, RICO, and construction, and all aspects of practice in service to the gaming industry. Through his transactional practice, Mr. Ehling assists clients with mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property licensing, corporate formation (limited liability companies and limited partnerships) and general corporate advice. His regulatory practice includes online gaming, sweepstakes and promotions, horse racing, sports, and credit card and electronic payments industries. He has acted on behalf of both private and public organizations in investigations of allegations of management misconduct and abuse.
He is also experienced in energy law, particularly California and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission regulatory practice and alcohol-licensing matters.
A Resource for the Gaming Industry
Dennis also has significant experience representing clients in the highly regulated gaming industry including handling complex confidential investigations and regulatory proceedings. He has particular knowledge in the area of online gaming and wagering and counsels clients on the regulatory and business implications of licensing, financing, M&A, and restructuring, and advocates on their behalf in all types of civil litigation, including securities disputes, intellectual property disputes, antitrust disputes, and other contractual disputes, and in criminal investigations. His clients include well-known casino operators, Native American gaming interests, gaming equipment manufacturers, racing and wagering operators, Internet operators, payment providers, vendors and other companies that invest in, or provide services to, the gaming or racing industry.
Mr. Ehling has written various publications for magazines and online on issues ranging from internet gambling and advertising, to fantasy sports betting, internet file sharing, use of illegal substances and player misconduct in the sports industry, and arbitration agreements. He has been published in World Sports Law Report, Transaction World Magazine, Los Angeles Daily Journal, IGamingNews, eCommerce Law Reports, and World Online Gambling Law Report, to name a few.
- Represented California municipal utility in proceedings before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and litigation before state and federal courts regarding the scope of commission authority to regulate municipal utilities, leading to the published decision Transmission Agency of Northern California, et al. v. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, 495 F.3d 663 (D.C. Cir. 2007).
- Represented major Multi-national Corporation in acquisition of U.S. - based gaming company, including deal structuring and negotiation, commercial and regulatory due diligence, and post-acquisition regulatory compliance.
- Served as lead trial counsel on matters involving claims of heavy metal, hydrocarbon, and chlorinated solvent contamination at sites around Southern California, including claims under CERCLA, RCRA, and their state law equivalents brought by government agencies and private parties.
- Represented nationwide cable television content provider in strategic acquisition of primary competitor.
- Represented investor in securities fraud and RICO litigation arising from allegations of fraud in purchase transaction for investor to acquire two Las Vegas casinos.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of California municipal utility into allegations of corruption and mismanagement by city officials.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of board of major multi-national not-for-profit organization into allegations of various violations.
- Drafted legislation to authorize new forms of online gambling, which has been passed by both the California and New Jersey legislatures.
- Advised online gambling providers and payment processors on compliance with Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act.
- Represented entrepreneurs in structuring and forming U.S. investment vehicle and U.K. company to develop and manufacture new form of solar cell, including securing license for key technology components.
- Represented cutting-edge media company and major U.S. professional sports league in design and launch of Internet-based sweepstakes promotion to coincide with launch of major new media outreach for league.
- Represented founding entrepreneurs of Internet payment processor in litigation to unwind a merger transaction and regain control of the company.
- Represented municipal utility in regulatory aspects of sale of major generating and high voltage transmission lines through modified auction process.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Ehling is the Board Chair of Arthritis Foundation, Pacific Region, and is a member of the National Board of Directors of the Arthritis Foundation. He also serves as the regional co-chair of the Princeton Alumni Schools Committee. Mr. Ehling is a member of the Jonathan Club in Los Angeles.