|Los Angeles, CA||v. +1.424.239.3438||f. +1.424.239.3413|
Michael L. Ludwig is a partner in the Firm’s Employment, Benefits and Labor practice group. Mr. Ludwig regularly counsels employers on a wide range of labor and employment law issues, including wage and hour compliance, employee separations and terminations, personnel policies and procedures, employee leaves of absence, and employee discipline. He has significant experience drafting employment agreements, separation and severance agreements, and workplace polices.
Mr. Ludwig represents a wide variety of clients, ranging from large public corporations to small family-owned local businesses, in all facets of the litigation process in labor and employment matters.
He has defended numerous wage and hour class action lawsuits in federal and state courts involving claims of misclassification of independent contractors, meal and rest period violations, overtime pay, minimum wage violations, failure to reimburse business expenses, and improper handling of employee tips. Mr. Ludwig also routinely defends companies facing claims of wrongful termination, sexual harassment, defamation, trade secret misappropriation, unfair competition, retaliation, and breach of contract. He has handled cases involving allegations of discrimination based on race, sex, disability, pregnancy, age, religion, medical condition and sexual orientation.
In addition, Mr. Ludwig is experienced in alternative dispute resolution, having assisted clients in obtaining favorable resolutions to disputes through mediation and direct negotiation.
- Defeated a class certification motion in a class action lawsuit for a tour company which included allegations of unpaid overtime wages, meal and rest period violations, unfair competition, mishandling of employee tips, and misclassification of independent contractors.
- Successfully negotiated an early resolution of a wrongful termination lawsuit involving claims of discrimination based on medical condition and physical disability for a health plan client.
- Represented a national commercial bank in a retaliation lawsuit brought by a long-term employee who previously had claimed race discrimination.
- Handled a pregnancy discrimination and wrongful termination lawsuit for a leading industrial brush manufacturer
- Handled a class action lawsuit alleging false advertising and violation of the Consumer Legal Remedies Act that was favorably resolved on an individual basis after multiple successful demurrers.
- Represented the director of security for a large hospital who personally was sued for alleged racial harassment.
- Represented a hedge fund firm in a wage and hour lawsuit that was dismissed after the court sustained a demurrer without leave to amend.
- Prevailed on a summary judgment motion in a physical disability case for a leading global security company.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Ludwig is a member of the labor and employment sections of the Los Angeles County Bar Association and California State Bar Association.