Kevin R. Doherty
|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5543||f. +1.917.332.3753|
Kevin R. Doherty concentrates his practice in complex commercial litigation. As a member of the Energy, Environment, and Mass Torts group, as well as the Insurance Recovery group, Mr. Doherty serves a wide range of clients in areas involving:
- Insurance coverage disputes and counseling for policyholders
- Business disputes and contract negotiation
- Defending mass tort litigation, including lawsuits relating to alleged exposure to products, chemicals, and/or alleged hazardous materials
- Commercial arbitration
- Environmental litigation/Superfund matters
- Complex e-discovery issues and document-intensive litigations, investigations, and appeals
Mr. Doherty also serves on the Firm’s E-Discovery and Recruiting Committees, and Co-Chairs the New York Summer Associate Program.
While in law school, Mr. Doherty served as a Judicial Intern for the Honorable John J. Harper, and also served as the President of the Corporate Law Association.
- Successfully defended a $40 million action, which included claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract, stemming from the settlement of divorce proceedings involving real estate that significantly increased in value due to rezoning.
- Represents the largest group self-insured trust in New York in various disputes with its insurers.
- Represents one of the world’s largest oil refineries in what are some of the most significant mass tort actions pending in the nation.
- Represents a healthcare and human services risk management company that provides professional advisory services and administers insurance coverage for hospitals, long-term care facilities, and social services agencies in the New York metropolitan area, and advises the company with respect to reinsurance claims.
- Successfully obtained insurance coverage for a global provider of IT software, hardware, and licensing, under a fidelity/crime coverage policy related to various acts of employee theft and fraud.
- Obtained a favorable Markman Opinion leading to a concession of non-infringement on behalf of the defendants in BuyerLeverage Email Solutions, LLC v. SBC Internet Services, Inc., AT&T Services, Inc., Comcast Cable Communications LLC, Microsoft Corporation, Time Warner Cable, Inc., Yahoo! Inc., and Return Path, Inc., and an assessment of costs.
- Successfully defended a global transportation and supply chain management provider, and their insurance carrier, in a dispute with another carrier seeking co-primary insurance.
- Obtained coverage for manufacturers and servicers of lifeboats in the marine industry under a commercial general liability policy following a catastrophic lifeboat accident.
- Successfully renegotiated a large energy contract for a nonprofit hospital located in Brooklyn, New York.
- Successfully pursued coverage on behalf of one of the world’s largest lightweight metals, engineering, and manufacturing companies for large-scale environmental liabilities associated with one of the company’s U.S.-based aluminum smelters.
- Successfully pursued coverage for a major New Jersey hospital, as well as its officers and directors, for dozens of lawsuits arising out of the hospital’s employment of a nurse who later confessed to the murder and attempted murder of patients at numerous health care facilities.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Doherty serves on the Jr. Executive Board and Leadership Circle of Street Wise Partners, Inc. and as a Young Benefactors Committee member for Love our Children USA.
Mr. Doherty provides pro bono representation to crime victims seeking U Nonimmigrant Status (U-Visa) based on their assistance with law enforcement in prosecuting the crimes committed against them.
- 2015–2017, New York “Rising Star” in Business Litigation, listed in Super Lawyers
- 2016, Blank Rome Pro Bono “Hero” Award
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.