Daniel E. Rhynhart
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5371||f. +1.215.832.5371||m. +1.215.805.7653|
CHAIR, COMMERCIAL LITIGATION PRACTICE GROUP
Daniel Rhynhart provides strategic counsel to executives in a variety of industries, including software and technology, telecommunications, financial services, banking, and real estate.
| Clients say ‘he is outstanding across the board: he has an excellent courtroom and deposition presence, and he quickly masters the important technical nature of our business. He is the consummate professional.'
Mr. Rhynhart is chair of the Commercial Litigation practice group, ranked by U.S. News and World Report as National Tier 1 and Philadelphia Tier 1 in its “Best Law Firms” rankings.
Mr. Rhynhart is ranked as a leader in the field of commercial litigation by Chambers USA, and is applauded for “establishing a fine reputation for his litigation practice.” He is praised for his ability to “handle and discredit hostile witnesses,” and clients say “he is outstanding across the board: he has an excellent courtroom and deposition presence, and he quickly masters the important technical nature of our business. He is the consummate professional,” and that he is “good at highlighting weaknesses in the other side’s arguments.”
- Defeated $82 million contract and fraud claims in a telecommunications trade secrets dispute, following federal jury trial, and won sanctions and attorneys’ fees for destruction of evidence.
- Successfully represented real estate developer with $200 million construction project, defeated injunction claims in Pennsylvania state court.
- Successfully represented trader in employment dispute with hedge fund, won 1.6 million FINRA arbitration award, plus punitive damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Defeated $70 million breach of contract claim for a construction-related distribution agreement, and won a counterclaim, following a five week trial in New York state court.
- Defeated $170 million software trade secrets lawsuit, and obtained permanent injunction securing client’s intellectual property rights, followed by contempt order for violations of injunction. Action was litigated in three courts, including Pennsylvania state and federal, and California federal court.
- Fraud action against derivatives trading website—secured verdict in California state court, upheld as a nondischargeable debt in federal bankruptcy proceedings in Texas, affirmed by Texas federal court, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and review denied by U.S. Supreme Court.
- Biotechnology dispute involving virus-based gene delivery—misappropriation of trade secrets—achieved settlement for no money on behalf of defendant after expedited discovery in Pennsylvania federal court.
- Software implementation and customization dispute between Fortune 500 companies—defeated multi-million dollar claims and obtained minimal verdict following jury trial in state court.
- Breach of contract and trademark infringement action between manufacturers and distributors of lighting technologies—won $8 million AAA arbitration award, confirmed by federal court.
- Breach-of-contract, fraud, and RICO action between mortgage company and top agents—defeated $30 million claim and secured $1.6 million counterclaim in AAA arbitration award, confirmed by Pennsylvania federal court.
- Fraud action by equity fund and holding company against sellers of a transportation logistics company—won $30 million JAMS arbitration award, confirmed by federal court—third largest trial verdict in Pennsylvania that year.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Rhynhart serves on the boards of various philanthropic organizations, including:
- American Red Cross for Eastern Pennsylvania—Chairman, Board of Directors
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (“CHOP”)—Corporate Council
- National Constitution Center—Corporate Council
- SeniorLAW Center of Pennsylvania—Board of Directors
- Compass Philadelphia—Past Chair, Board of Directors
Mr. Rhynhart was an Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar at Boston University School of Law. He was president of his class at Colgate University and serves as Class Reunion Chair.
Mr. Rhynhart handles a number of pro bono cases each year on behalf of indigent clients. He was recognized by Blank Rome with its Pro Bono Hero award, and has been named to the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania’s Pro Bono Roll of Honor every year for the past eleven years.
The Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County awarded Mr. Rhynhart the First Judicial District’s Distinguished Pro Bono Award in 2015, for his representation of a World War II veteran who was defrauded by a con man and rendered homeless.
Mr. Rhynhart led Blank Rome’s team at Diversity Lab’s Women in Law Hackathon in 2016, aimed at advancing and retaining experienced women lawyers in law firms.
- 2015–2017, “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer” in Business Litigation, listed in Super Lawyers
- 2014–2017, Litigation: General Commercial Law, listed in Chambers USA
- 2010, “40 Under 40,” listed in Philadelphia Business Journal
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.