Cory G. Jacobs
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5481||f. +1.215.832.5481|
CHAIR, TAX, BENEFITS, AND PRIVATE CLIENT PRACTICE GROUP
Cory Jacobs concentrates his practice in the areas of business tax law and general corporate law. Mr. Jacobs advises a broad range of corporate taxpayers in the technology, manufacturing, healthcare, energy, financial services, sports, and consumer products industries. He regularly provides strategic advice in matters relating to:
- domestic and international tax
- tax-efficient structuring of domestic and international mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, reorganizations, spin-offs, redemptions, and liquidations
- use of partnerships, S corporations, and limited liability companies
- issuances of equity-based compensation
Mr. Jacobs regularly represents private equity firms, public companies, family owned businesses and entrepreneurs. His diverse, multi-industry experience yields a tailored, business-minded approach when advising clients on sophisticated tax issues. Mr. Jacobs has served as an adjunct professor of law at Rutgers Camden Law School where he taught corporate tax, partnership tax and business enterprises. Mr. Jacobs also taught Tax-Free Reorganizations at Villanova University School of Law. His tax practice is enhanced by his CPA experience as a senior tax consultant in Deloitte & Touche’s international and domestic tax practices.
Chambers USA notes that Mr. Jacobs is “praised by clients for his ‘real-time, actionable feedback and deep understanding of the tax code’’” and that he is described as a “very practical straight shooter who tries to help you try and solve problems as best he can.”
- Represented a private equity fund in the sale of one of its portfolio companies for $352 million.
- Represented a private equity fund in its purchase of a global leader in technical solutions in the marine industry for $120 million.
- Represented Andrew Barroway in his acquisition of a controlling interest in the Arizona Coyotes of the National Hockey League (“NHL”). Ongoing representation of the Arizona Coyotes as outside counsel.
- Represented individuals in evaluating acquisitions of national sports franchises.
- Represented a leading distributor and merchandiser of consumer products, in a private equity financing transaction.
- Represented a multinational corporation in the divestiture of its healthcare division.
- Represented a client in the automotive industry in its acquisition of an automotive products and services business.
- Represented an educational software firm in its sale of a majority stake to a private equity firm.
- Represented an IT outsourcing business in its sale to a private equity firm.
- Represented a veterinary products company in its sale to a private equity firm.
- Represented a leading middle-market private equity firm in its acquisition of one of the largest regional air transportation providers in a niche geographic U.S. market.
- Recapitalization, acquisition, and financing of a distributor of tools for the oil industry by a private equity firm client.
- Restructuring and sale of a wholesale and retail distributor of liquid fuel and other petroleum products to a large pipeline operator.
- Strategic acquisition of a healthcare data analytics company and related financing by a private equity firm client; sale of the same company to a strategic investor.
- Numerous multimillion dollar acquisitions on behalf of the world’s largest inter-enterprise software company.
- Represented a healthcare company in its equity financing and its subsequent sale to a NYSE-listed, Fortune 500 company.
- Represented a provider of software systems and processing services and solutions in multiple acquisitions and divestitures.
- Acquisition of a roofing services provider by a private equity firm client.
- Acquisition, financing, and sale of shipyards by a private equity firm client.
- Recapitalization, acquisition, financing, and sale of a van-pool services and passenger vehicle leasing services company by a private equity firm client.
- Multi-part restructuring/divestiture of an energy company by an electricity provider.
- Sale of an automotive parts distributor by a private equity firm client to a second private equity firm.
- Acquisition of a provider of supply chain management solutions by a private equity firm client.
- Recapitalization, acquisition, and financing of a national importer of pipes, valves, fittings, and related products company on behalf of a private equity firm client.
- Sale of an international travel services company in an acquisition by a NYSE-listed Fortune 100 company.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Jacobs is a sponsor for the Entrepreneurs’ Organization in Philadelphia. He served on the Board of Directors of the National Liberty Museum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He also served on the Board of Managers for the Katz Jewish Community Center in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and is the former vice chairman of the JCC Camps in Medford, New Jersey.
- Tax Law, listed in Chambers USA
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.