Lisa Casey Spaniel
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5337||f. +1.215.832.5337|
VICE CHAIR, INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND TECHNOLOGY PRACTICE GROUP
Lisa Casey Spaniel concentrates her legal practice in intellectual property matters, namely software and technology licensing, outsourcing and supply agreements, business agreements and transactions for technology businesses, data aggregation and privacy issues, web site development and related marketing, and promotions law. She counsels clients on matters relating to:
- software, technology, copyright, patent, trademark and other intellectual property licenses and agreements, including development, design implementation, integration, hosting, software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), infrastructure as a service (IaaS), and other cloud-related agreements, as well as underpinning maintenance and support, service level, disaster recovery and source code escrow agreements
- outsourcing, OEM, VAR, resale, private-label, supply, manufacturing, fulfillment and other sourcing and distribution agreements and models
- bio and nano technology and other life sciences agreements, including licenses, joint venture agreements and technology transfer agreements
- web site and App development and maximization, including targeted and behavioral advertising, collection and use of user generated content, as well as development, design and hosting agreements
- collection, use, licensing and sale of aggregate and personally identifiable information, including data supply and license agreements, as well as related security and privacy issues
- acquisition and sale of public and private entities with respect to intellectual property and other intangible assets
- creation, administration and registration and bonding of sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions, including rule preparation, liability releases, review of advertising and marketing materials and response to regulatory inquiries
- privacy issues ranging from compliance with European and other worldwide privacy regulations to children's privacy issues
Before joining Blank
- Negotiated multi-year, multi-service transaction to outsource crucial business functions on an international basis, which included an underpinning software platform and dedicated personnel in numerous countries, between two respective industry giants, navigating complex issues related to compliance with local laws and business continuity plans.
- Drafted and negotiated supply-chain agreements to expand the market for a benchmark kitchenware company, starting with brand licensing and building through manufacturing, supply, marketing and distribution, fulfillment and customer service agreements, including agreements with vendors in China and worldwide.
- Assisted international finance company with a $100M+ massive multi-year, worldwide software initiative. Negotiated agreements, amendments and statements of work with multiple vendors for development, implementation and integration of the backend, middleware and front-end systems, as well as migration of legacy data to newly developed data warehouse. Assisted with evaluation of project development methodologies and strategies for source code escrow and options to purchase software.
- Negotiated purchase agreement and oversaw intellectual property aspects in the $200M sale of a leading provider of network performance management and service delivery management solutions to a formidable IT management software company.
- Drafted license agreements for software that is arguably the underpinning of much of today's modern computing, while navigating complex bankruptcy and litigation issues based on prior agreements.
- Worked with multinational pharmaceutical company to certify nearly 30 operating companies to the Safe Harbor to comply with the EU Directive 95/46/EC on the protection of personal data.
- Created policies, rules, FAQs and other user documentation for user-generated gaming web site with 42 million monthly unique visitors.
- Launched sweepstakes with prizes including a party with a celebrity chef and negotiated issues with regulators after bankruptcy of sponsor.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Casey Spaniel is a member of the Cornerstone Society of the Pennsylvania Ballet and volunteers with Philadelphia VIP (Volunteer with the Indigent Program). Ms. Casey Spaniel is an associate member of the International Trademark Association and a member of the Promotional Marketing Association - Sweepstakes Law Committee.